Pages

August 12, 2013

GAYlympics of HUMANity

Rainy day RANTers! How are you doing (Okay, I’ve just noticed that I say this almost in every RANT that I do)?

It was such a F-A-N-T-A-B-U-L-O-U-S LONG (And you know guys how much I like that.) weekend, isn’t it? While we all had fun during our weekend, there are some who didn’t. And that’s what I’m gonna RANT today.


Just before the long weekend came (Oooohh!) and as I was browsing my Facebook Newsfeed (Have I told you that I am such a Facebook addict?), I stumbled upon an article about what’s happening in Russia. And T-H-I-S is what I’m RANTing about.

What did I feel while I was reading that post?

FEAR

HEART-BROKEN

HELPLESS

The Winter Olympics will take place in Sochi, Russia in 2014. The opening ceremony will take place on February 7, 2014 and the closing ceremony will take place in February 23, 2014. That would be less than S-I-X (Not the other “s” word.) months from now. And it is fast approaching.

Some of the athletes that will participate in the Winter Olympics are part of the LGBT community, my second family.

As a gay man myself, I could not help but feel FEAR for what will happen to these athletes during that time. Will the LGBT athletes of each participating countries be protected from this kind of harm? Will they be okay? What will be the outcome of this game if THAT kind of thing will continue?

I could not help but feel HEART-BROKEN because all this time I thought that AFRICA is the only country (Or continent for that matter.) that has ANTI-LGBT laws. I thought that more and more people are accepting us for who we R-E-A-L-L-Y are and not for whom THEY THINK WE ARE.

I feel HELPLESS because I don’t know any possible way, other than this blog post, for everyone to hear my voice regarding this matter to help my fellow brothers and sisters in that country. Other than RANTing here on my blog, what else can I do? Go there myself? Probably not.


Fighting for LGBT RIGHTS, our rights as a human, is like the Olympics. It is not a game but it is rather a constant struggle to let every living human in this world know that we are not so different from the rest.

We stumble and get hurt but we know that it is a part of the GAYlympics.

Photo from U.N. Free & Equal

No comments:

Post a Comment