Pages

March 10, 2014

INSERTION is PROTECTION

Good day RANTers!

Sorry for not being able to RANT about anything last week because a certain someone is complaining because I wasn’t paying him any attention and wanted to play with me.

Temi being snobbish.

Anyway, let’s get started on RANTing!


Last March 6, 2014, as I was browsing my Facebook Newsfeed (Yeah. Facebook Addict. I know.), I stumbled upon this article that Nr. Janina Santos shared on her Facebook Timeline.

Okay, first things first. According to what has been taught to us, how do we prevent the transmission of Human Immunodeficiency Virus a.k.a. HIV?

Remember my blog post about the prevention of HIV transmission?

If one cannot ABSTAIN from having sexual intercourse nor BE FAITHFUL to one sexual partner/BE IN A MONOGAMOUS RELATIONSHIP, then at least wear a CONDOM when you’re going to have a one-night stand with a COMPLETE STRANGER (Yup! Yup! I’m talking about that guy you’ve met on GRINDR/PLANET ROMEO/HORNET/SCRUFF/GUY SPY.). Because, as what have been taught to us, CONDOM is the ONLY BARRIER CONTRACEPTIVE that could prevent the transmission of sexually transmitted infections (STIs), and that includes HIV.

A FEMALE CONDOM given to us during the 7th APCRSHR.

Those were the things that were taught to us when it comes to preventing STIs specifically HIV transmission, right?

Then this newly developed contraceptive device is introduced to us. A VAGINAL RING that can prevent both PREGNANCY and HIV TRANSMISSION.

Photo not owned by the blogger.
  
As soon as I’ve read it, I was totally A-M-A-Z-E-D. I mean, preventing pregnancy in women (Of course, men won’t get preggy unless he’s a TRANSMAN.) and HIV transmission at the same time is not something we expect to happen.

So, you may be C-U-R-I-O-U-S as to what the components of this intravaginal ring are.

This intravaginal ring has levonorgestrel and tenofovir.

Oh, I almost forgot. Please bear (Not BARE, dear.) with me as I will be technical from this point.

What is the MECHANISM OF ACTION of each drug, you may ask.

LEVONORGESTREL
“Synthetic progestin, ovulation is inhibited from a negative feedback mechanism on hypothalamus, leading to reduced secretions of follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH).”
[Medscape App]

Photo not owned by the blogger.


TENOFOVIR
“Nucleoside analog reverse transcriptase inhibitor (NRTI); analog of 5’-monophosphate that inhibits HIV-1 reverse transcriptase by competing with AMP as substrate, which results in the inhibition of viral replication.”
[Medscape App]

Photo not owned by the blogger.

 (Could someone please get me a TISSUE? I’m having a B-L-O-O-D-Y nose over here. Thank you!)

To help you guys how ANTI RETROVIRAL DRUGS (ARV) work, here is a video on that…

Video courtesy of YouTube.

With all of these in mind, I just have a few questions with regards to this type of contraceptive…

When will this be available for the consumption of the public and how much will it cost for one ring? Because this is a MIND-BLOWING work and is so amazing (In my opinion, that is.).

Won’t this kind of contraceptive cause any kind of HEALTH PROBLEMS to the woman who will use it? I mean, this contraceptive will be inside the woman’s vagina for THREE MONTHS.

Will there be any risk of DRUG RESISTANCE? Because if it will be causing DRUG RESISTANCE to the woman who will use it, then I guess this is could be a MAJOR PROBLEM for her.

Lastly, when will be the time when this kind of contraceptive (Intra-anal, I suppose? Ahihihi!) will be available for MALES too? I mean, most HIV cases are of those men who are having UNSAFE (Well, they won’t get infected if they were safe.) sex with other men.

What about you, RANTers? What are your thoughts with regards to this kind of contraceptive?

No comments:

Post a Comment