Pages

March 4, 2013

Team BUHAY or Team PATAY: Focusing On Mrs. Cynthia Villar


A bright and sunny (Weh?! It was quite dark and cloudy outside today, actually.) day RANTers!

So here I am, attended one of the Senatorial Forums at the TRADERS HOTEL (I am currently in a HOTEL HOPPING, can’t you see?) whose topic focuses on health. It has a theme of “Health, as a public good, is always an important agenda that must be protected and improved on by those in power” (Which I guess also means “With great power comes great responsibility”. THIS IS MY UNDERSTANDING OF IT!).


As I arrived at the venue in the hotel, I’ve come to notice that I’m the O-N-L-Y one wearing shorts. So, I was like “Geezers! Why am I wearing my home clothes here?!” (Note to self: BE F-O-R-M-A-L when coming to these kind of events.).

Anyway, when I arrived, Senatorial candidate Risa Hontiveros was on the stage so I was not able to take note of what she was saying.

L-U-C-K-I-L-Y for me, she was not yet finished on the “Hot Seat” so the questions keeps on going.

One of the participants asked Ms. Risa Hontiveros regarding her reaction to Mrs. Cynthia Villar’s statement about us nurses (S-T-R-I-K-E ONE!).

This is what Ms. Risa Hontiveros said…

Nurses are not export goods. They are professionals and should be treated as professionals.

Photo courtesy of http://www.todoentertainment.com/


I was like ----> (O_O) <----. Such an A-M-A-Z-I-N-G woman.

Then next on the “Hot Seat” was former Senator Ramon Magsaysay, Jr. I cannot perfectly hear everything (Probably because I was not F-O-C-U-S-E-D on him) he was saying but his bottom line is that he is for the privatization of hospitals.

Photo courtesy of http://www.ivoteph.com/


Then came again the next round of questions for him. As I was formulating my question on my mind (Was I really?), the participant who asked Ms. Hontiveros about her reaction to the statement of Ms. Cynthia Villar about us nurses asked it again with him (S-T-R-I-K-E TWO!) I actually clapped once because I noticed that everybody else just smiled. (Okay, I am starting think that I’m humiliating myself. Geez!). Same question, same answer (What do you expect? You boiled an egg then expect to have ROASTED CHICKEN?).


Then came the turn of Senator Francis “Chiz” Escudero on the “Hot Seat”. He said his introductions first (And boy was he a RANTer too! I mean he talked really F-A-S-T. I simply cannot catch a thing he was saying.) then came  the next round of questions for him.

Photo courtesy of http://solitarioyfinal.blogspot.com


Then this participant, who asked the question about Ms. Cynthia Villar to the first two senatoriables, asked the question again (S-T-R-I-K-E THREE! You’re out!).
  
Same question, same answer. (Do I need to say it again?)

Then came this one participant who asked Senator Escudero about his reaction to the poster posted outside San Sebastian Cathedral at Bacolod City, Philippines.

Photo courtesy of http://forum.philboxing.com/




I was A-M-A-Z-E-D by the way “Chiz” Escudero answered it…

Bilang mamayan, may karapatan kayong mangumpanya ng laban o ng pagsuporta sa isang kandidato na hindi  gumamagit ng pagiging arsobispo o ng pulpito.” (As a citizen, you have the right to campaign against or for a candidate without using your archbishop ruling or without using the pulpit.)

Case closed. (Is it just me or I was simply stricken with the charisma he was emitting?)

Of course I wanted to have my OWN poll (Ayaw magpatalo?) regarding Mrs. Villar’s statements so I asked some of the persons close to me and here are their statements…

“Impokrita siya.” (She’s a hypocrite.)
~MVAM, Jr., BSN

Persona non grata
~PAC,  BSN, RN

“Echosera siya.” (She’s a joke.)
~AAAL, DMD, BSN, RN

“Maybe she’s referring to caregivers and not the nurses. Even though, it’s very rude to say that statement.”
~EO-B, MD

And just recently, the Alliance of Young Nurse Leaders & Advocates has released our official statement regarding Mrs. Villar’s statement about us nurses…

Official Statement of the Alliance of Young Nurse Leaders and Advocates International, Inc. (AYNLA) on Cynthia Villar’s Response on GMA 7’s Pagsubok ng Mga Kandidato

The Alliance of Young Nurse Leaders and Advocates, Inc., an organization that has continuously fought to uplift the status of Nursing as a profession and the working conditions and the morale of Filipino nurses, condemns the response of Former Congresswoman Cynthia Villar on GMA 7’s Pagsubok ng Mga Kandidato on the 23rd of February. The Alliance believes that such response was calloused, derogatory, and is a manifestation of the dwindling respect for Filipino nurses and the profession of Nursing.

The Alliance believes that nurses are essential part of health human resource not only in areas of clinical expertise but also in community development, policy-making and nation building. It is evident, though, that regardless of the setting, nurses will always work with people’s lives. This is why the Alliance believes that, contrary to Mrs. Villar’s statement, nurses do need to be competent, safe, and efficient in their practice. Mediocrity in the nursing profession must not be condoned. The statement the congresswoman made seems to be a blatant disregard to the need of proper education and emphasis on competency. This has offended the nursing community gravely.

In the spirit of proper communication and despite AYNLA’s disapproval of Mrs. Villar’s answer, the Alliance is open to dialogue with the former congresswoman in order to give her opportunity to clarify her statements, which she had been unable to do during the television program. The Alliance believes that proper communication is the solution to settle conflicts.
However, despite the Alliance’s openness to a dialogue, it remains to be a non-partisan organization. The Alliance, thus, would neither endorse nor campaign against Mrs. Villar in the May 2013 elections. The Alliance shall show support to those who will further the issues of nurses and strengthen the profession’s social force.

The Alliance leaves the decision of the vote to the Filipino nurses, believing in their capability to vote wisely electoral candidates who shall further uplift the profession of Nursing.

What about you, dear RANTer? What is/are your RANT/s regarding this matter?

No comments:

Post a Comment