Pages

June 3, 2013

The Voice

RANTers!!! Oh how I missed you all so much! I apologize for not being able to post a blog last Monday. I didn’t have any time to do anything. S-O-R-R-Y!


Anyway, it was a bit of a hectic week for me (Weh?! Really?!). I attended two events last May 28, 2013; one in the morning and one in the afternoon. That is why in this post, I’ll be RANTing about those two. Oh! And by the way, this post isn’t going to be about a singing contest just because this has the same title as with the singing contest you’re thinking of.

MORNING

So me and Nr. Jose Andrelin dela Cruz (A PHBS member and also a RANTer.) went to this event to know about some views regarding the R.A. 10175 a.k.a. Cybercrime Prevention Law.

Little did we know that the event is mostly about internet stuff (Which, unfortunately, we are not mostly knowledgeable of.) and a little was discussed about the Cybercrime Prevention Law of the Philippines. BUT (Not the B-U-T-T you’re thinking of.) there are citations from the speakers that connects to the Cybercrime Prevention Law.

During the event it is said that the “Internet is a tool for FREEDOM OF INFORMATION” and that the “Open internet is under threat”.

But how is it under threat, you may ask (With BRITISH accent.)?

Here in our country, it is threatened through the CYBERCRIME LAW. Just by posting your opinion or thoughts about a certain person in your social media then you’ll have a swarm of policemen going to your home then next thing you know, you’re already sleeping behind bars (Isn’t that A-M-A-Z-I-N-G?). What’s more? Try going against one politician then, voila! RED ALERT is announced throughout the universe (FANTABULOUS isn’t it?).

But the question there is, is it for our own protection or for the protection of those who are in power (Talk about smell.)? Is the government trying to get a hold on the internet; a hold on to our freedom as a human being to speak our minds? YES, they are. They are threatened that if people would be smarter, then they would no longer have a hold on to their position.

Just like what is said during the event, there are FOUR THINGS that we need to preserve:
~Global reach and integrity
~Permission-less innovation
~OVERALL ACCESSIBILITY
~Collaboration

Yes, dear RANTers. I emphasized “Overall Accessibility” because that is what our government trying to get from us. The INFORMATION that we could get that we can use against them for doing whatever they want.

Just remember these words…

No one person, company, organization, or GOVERNMENT runs the internet.

It is made for the people, by the people. It is ours and not theirs.


AFTERNOON

That’s it. Enough RANTing about what happened in the morning. Let’s fast forward the time and into the event in the afternoon.

So during the afternoon, we attended another Consultation Workshop about the Responsible Parenthood and Reproductive Health (RPRH) Law. But this time, it’s a consultation from the adolescent group (I know! We don’t belong!).

                                               Photo taken by Nr. Jose Andrelin dela Cruz

It was a fun-filled afternoon (Because the event in the morning is SO FUN that it made me YAWN at least N-I-N-E times.) and I was glad to see that there is a large group of adolescents present. And the fact that they have some background regarding the law makes me E-C-S-T-A-T-I-C. What’s more? The youngest of them is a TWELVE YEAR-OLD GIRL. Isn’t that FANTABULOUS?

So there I was, RANTing about what I know about the law (Because I have read it myself and I have underlined some important points.) and I actually STUTTERED. Gosh!

We discussed a whole bunch of interesting stuff about the law and me & my colleagues, Nr. Janina Santos and Nr. Jose Andrelin dela Cruz, shared our views to this younger generation as they shared their views with us as well.

There is so much to talk about during that time but the time-frame was not enough for us to discuss a WHOLE LOT MORE. So we bid goodbyes early and the facilitators said that we could hopefully continue this in the near future.


I know that what I said happened during the afternoon is not much of a RANT but it just so happened that I’ve already RANTed about the Sexuality Education part of R.A. 10354 in my previous blog posts so it would be just redundant. Sorry about that RANTers!

1 comment:

  1. Sana lang Andrei na lang ginamit mong name ko diba?.. hehehh ^^

    ReplyDelete